With just 6 simple ingredients and one bowl, you can whip up these delicious chocolate-orange flapjacks in no time. Perfect for breakfast, snacking, or as a dessert and full of fiber. These little bars are beautifully sweet, crumbly, and contain fresh orange zest to provide a gorgeous citrus-y tang. the ideal pair for the silky chocolate melted on the top…
I use a mix of oat flour, and whole rolled oats in this recipe to give the flapjacks a crumbly, yet slightly chewy texture. make sure to use certified gluten free oats if you can’t eat gluten, the recipe works just as well either way! Wholegrain oats are full of healthy carbs, protein and dietary fiber, making these flapjacks good enough for breakfast, while still tasting good enough for pud.
To sweeten things up, this recipe uses a natural agave syrup. With a similar taste and texture to honey, it goes perfectly in these flapjacks. It also has a much lower GI than normal sugar, contains many more nutrients, and is actually sweeter(meaning you can use less!). If you can’t get your hands on agave nectar, you can sub for maple or brown rice syrup, and honey works too if not vegan. Adding desiccated coconut also adds a natural sweetness, plus a gorgeous flavor. If your not a fan of coconut, omit this and replace with more oats or oat flour.
Using fresh orange zest in this recipe makes ALL the difference. Orange extract works too, but if you have access to fresh orange, it provides a much strong flavor, along with a gorgeous tang that pairs perfectly with the sweet syrup, and the silky dark chocolate. I also use orange-chocolate for the top, for that extra zing, however plain works just fine too!
So, these are sweet, tasty, easy to make, require just 6 ingredients, satisfying and good for you. Do I need to say any more?? Give these a try for the perfect lunchbox treat, morning perk-me-up, or after dinner delight. I mean, you can’t go wrong with chocolate-orange right?!
- 100ml coconut oil
- 150ml agave syrup(can sub for maple, brown rice syrup, or honey if not vegan)
- 175g oats
- 50g desiccated coconut
- zest of 1 orange
- 100g vegan chocolate
- pinch salt(optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius, and line or grease a 18cm X 11cm tray.
- Add the oil and syrup to a small pan, and heat on low until melted.
- Meanwhile, add half of the oats to a blender of food processor, and blend until fine. You can miss this step out however the bars with be slightly more chewy.
- Add the oat flour to a bowl, along with the oats, coconut, orange zest, and salt.
- Add the wet mixture, combine well, and transfer to the baking dish.
- Bake foe 12-16 minutes, or until golden on top. The bars will harden more as they cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water, and pour oven the bars, spreading evenly. Place in the fridge to set, then slice and enjoy!