People often struggle to think of savory vegan breakfast options. This easy and versatile tofu scramble will transform your mornings, when you your not really fancying something sweet. Packed with flavor, and your choice of veggies, its the perfect high-protein start to the morning!
Tofu makes for a perfect substitute for scrambled-egg. When crumbled up it becomes soft and squidgy just like egg, and turmeric gives it a gorgeous yellow colour…you wouldn’t know the difference! Along with the turmeric, I add a little paprika to deepen the colour and add tonnes of flavour. A pinch or two of chilli flakes is an optional extra too if you like a little spice.
This recipe is an amazing staple for your savory brekkies, and can be switched up however you like. This time I added a range of veggies including red pepper, mushrooms and spinach giving the scramble extra flavour, colour and nutrients. Any veggies will work amazingly, along with beans, chickpeas, potatoes or anything else you fancy.
This breakfast scramble is gorgeous on its own, but also works great on toast, on a veggie full-English, with some creamy avocado, or paired with some baked beans and a couple of veggie sausages. The combinations are pretty much endless…no more morning struggles when your craving savory! It even works as a high-protein lunch or dinner if you bulk it up with a few other add-ins.
Simple, delicious, high-protein and easy to make. This tofu-scramble is the savory staple you’ve been looking for.
- Splash olive or coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2-3 spring onions(or 1 small white onion)
- Vegetables/add-ins of choice
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast(optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- Chilli flakes(optional,to taste)
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt and Pepper
- Dice the onion into small pieces, and add to a pan along with the oil.
- Cook until soft and translucent, then add the crushed garlic, spices and nutritional yeast(if using).
- Let that cook for a couple of minutes or until fragrant, then add any chopped veggies, blanched potatoes or beans you may be using.
- Coat the veggies and when they are soft use your hands to crumble in the tofu. Don’t worry if the pieces are uneven, as they are supposed to resemble scrambled egg.
- Add a splash of water if needed(or to adjust to your preferred texture), then add the lime juice and season well with salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook for around 5 minutes, making sure the tofu is thoroughly coated in the spices.
- Remove from the heat and serve as you wish!