Now THIS is flavour. A gorgeous blend of herbs and spices make this fragrant sweet-potato chickpea curry one of my all time FAVOURITE meals….especially with brown rice and homemade breads.
Packed with veggies, from creamy sweet potatoes, peppers and carrots, to courgettes and broccoli, this hearty curry is full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals giving you tonnes of energy, and plenty of the good stuff. Using a wide variety also provides gorgeous textures, flavours, and of course colours(because who doesn’t love a colourful plate?!). And don’t worry, the chickpeas add the plant protein you need for the day!
Trust me, once you try this spice blend, you’ll never want to go back to shop bought. Cumin, paprika, chilli, cinnamon, cloves, garlic…it’s a real flavour party, that only gets better with time!
Whether your a curry fan or not, this one-pan flavour bomb is definitely one to try!
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 large white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- Thumb of ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 cinnamon stick(or 2 tsp ground cinnamon)
- 2-3 whole cloves or 1-2 star anise(or both)
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- Vegetables of choice
- 1 can chickpeas
- 400ml vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Saute the onion in a large saucepan until soft, then add the finely chopped garlic and ginger.
- Fry for a few minutes before adding the tomato puree and spices. Combine well and cook for a further minute until fragrant.
- Optionally, transfer this mixture to a blender, pulse until a paste forms, and return to the pan. This will make the curry thicker.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes and veggies, and coat well in the spices.
- Add the vegetable stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add th chickpeas, and simmer on a low heat for 20-30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender, and the curry has reached your desired thickness.
- Serve with homemade bread, fresh coriander and brown rice.