Cooked until soft, and OOZING with flavour, these miso aubergines are the perfect addition to your meals. There full of Asian taste, as well as a perfect spice and tonnes of nutrients. Perfect served with rice, roti bread, veggies, a quick stir-fry, or even on their own.
The aubergines are cooked twice in the oven, initially covered in foil to avoid burning. Coated in a flavour packed sauce, they infuse with all the ingredients to form gorgeously tasty ovals of HEAVEN.
The sauce contains a range of ingredients, from white miso(of course) bringing a depth of flavour, to soy for saltiness, maple for sweetness, chilli for a kick, ginger and garlic. The perfect combo to take these veggies to the next level!
This time I severed the aubergines with seasoned brown rice, tossed with steamed and chopped broccoli for a pop of colour. As the juices pour from the aubergine, the rice soaks up the flavour, meaning your not losing any of the goodness!
Pop em out the oven, and finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds for a gorgeous crunch, and extra flavour. Serve up with your desired accompaniments, and enjoy! It couldn’t be simpler:).
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp white miso paste
- 2 tsp maple/agave syrup
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Thumb ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tsp rice wine/apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways, then use your knife to cut a criss-cross pattern in the aubergine(make sure not to cut all the way through).
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, adding a little more water if needed.
- Using a brush, cover the aubergines in half of the sauce.
- Wrap each half in foil, and place on a tray to bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and take off the foil.
- Brush with the remaining sauce, and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds(optional), and serve straight away.