You think those ready-preped fajita boxes taste good? Well my homemade mexican spice blend is on a ANOTHER LEVEL. This flavour-packed mix is made up of authentic flavours, from paprika and cumin, to chilli and garlic. And, it’s so easy to make!
I love to use fresh seeds, then toast and grind em up myself. A few minutes of extra-work, but it makes ALL the difference. The flavours are so much more vibrant and fresh, plus much cheaper to buy! If you can’t get your hands on the whole stuff, ground works just fine too !
The mix can be made in a big batch ahead of time, so is a great way for busy people to still have delicious meals. Just add a table spoon to your pan, fry then off of a minute until fragrant, and let the flavour oozeeee into your food :).
Here are just a few of my favourite ways to use the blend:
•Add to sliced onions, peppers and courgettes before stir-frying for a mexican filling.
•Pop a little into a pan with a tin of pinto beans and a splash of water, and leave to simmer making delicious re-fried beans.
•Fry with onions and veggies before adding tomatoes or veggie stock for a hearty mexican stew.
•Add to olive oil, and use as a marinade for cauli-steaks, tofu, or whatever else you love!
(MAKES 16 TBSP)
- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp (1/8 cup) corriander seeds
- 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) paprika
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp (1/4 cup) dried chilli flakes(or adjusted to taste)
- 2 tbsp (1/8 cup) garlic granules
- 1 tbsp (1/16 cup) mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- Heat up a dry frying pan, and add the seeds.
- Cook for a few minutes, until fragrant, then transfer to a pestal and mortar.
- Grind until they resemble a fine powder.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground seeds with the remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Store in a secure jar for up-to 6 months, using 1-2 tbsp per 2-4 person meal (depending on how spicy you like things).