Chocolate orange blondies. Fluffy but rich sponge, fresh orange zest and rich dark chocolate chips all together in one dreamy blondie. They’re easy to make, made with natural ingredients, and SO delicious too!
The bars are made with fresh orange zest, meaning they’re full of natural flavours. The zingy citrus pairs perfectly with the dark chocolate, making these bars a real taste sensation!
With vegan wholefood ingredients, no refined sugar, and a gluten free option…these cake bars are perfect for anyone and everyone. so, dig in!
- 60 g(1/4 cup) coconut oil (or olive/vegetable oil)
- 60 ml(1/4 cup) orange juice
- 150 ml(2/3 cup) unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (unwashed oranges)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp maple syrup (or any liquid sweetener)
- 150 g ground almonds
- 150 g(1 1/4 cup) gluten-free flour (or plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g dark chocolate chips/broken chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Melt the coconut oil over a saucepan of boiling water or in the microwave (skip this step if using any other oil).
- Combine the coconut oil with the orange juice and zest, along with the milk, vanilla, syrup and ground almonds. Then, sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix well. Add a splash more milk if the mixture is too stiff.
- Gently add the chocolate chips, until evenly incorporated.
- Transfer the mix into a greased square baking tin (roughly 20cmX20cm) lined with baking paper.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes until golden, and a skewer comes out clean.
- Slice into bars, and leave to cool before enjoying!